Saturday, February 6, 2010

Undecided

I just don't know what I am going to continue to use this blog to record. I have lost interest in The Daily Writer. I also find that I really have trouble writing daily on a consistent basis. Today when I opened this blog all I could think about was the happenings in Madison yesterday at Discovery Middle School. One student shot another student supposedly because he was upset with the remarks the student had made about "his gang". The incident has raise some many things in my mind. As a social worker and therapist I want to know what could have led to this killing. Several people on Facebook have commented that he shooter has been in trouble before. What sort of trouble I ask and did any one grasp the scope of his possible actions. I remember another incident that left me wondering if I had missed some serious warning signs when an adolescent's actions resulted in death. The another part of my intellect tells me that know one can really grasp just what another person is capable of doing. The social worker in me also wants to know what could have been done to prevent this senseless act. I also think about the two adolescents' families. Two families have had their lives forever altered by the actions that this boy has taken. Everyone in the area has been, at least momentarily effected by this incident. I, along with others want to point fingers at the parents, at our modern culture that endorses such actions, the movies, music, and video games that promote violence. However, that only leads to more questions. I firmly believe that God has a purpose in everything that happens and maybe the only purpose is to remind us of what we as a nation, as a culture, as a world are becoming. I'm sure that evangelists would say that this is another indication of the end time. I don't know if it is or not but my heart goes out to all those whose lives have been forever altered by this action. My prayers are for the dead child's family and friends, for the the shooter's family and friends, for the parents and children of the area, and for the teachers, school officials and leaders who must now try to make sense of this and take actions to prevent it (hopefully) from happening again.

No comments:

Post a Comment