Saturday, November 7, 2009

Nov. 6: Idea Mapping

Sorry but once again a day late in getting this published. Supervisor was around most of yesterday for annual evaluations and then last night I really wanted to finish a sweater I was re-working.
So this day's reading was on the brainstorming technique that Fred White calls "Idea Mapping".
He shows a diagram of how it looks and it makes developing a idea in such a way that it has a visual deminsion and it demonstrates connecting between the main idea and its offshoots.
"For Further Reflection" carries this idea of bring abstractions (the main idea) into more a more sensory experience. It isn't White's idea that abstracts should be avoided but that making them visual makes them easier to work with.
The "Try This" assignment:
1. Create an idea map for your next writing project. Begin by placing the topic in te center of the page, and free-associate to generate subordinate ideas. Use differently colored pencils to draw connections between primary, secondary, and tertiary relationships.
2. Transform the idea map you prepared for number one into a first draft, inventing new connections as you go along.
I think I will try this idea later today when I work on an examiner.com article related to Thanksgiving. I really have two rather abstract ideas that I want to pursue so think I'll do both this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment