Monday, November 9, 2009

Nov. 9: Multiple Drafting

For today Fred White has give directions that we try to work on multiple story drafts at the same time. He believes that this is a good way to cope with writer's block and also that working on one story might trigger ideas for the others or vice versa. He even suggests that you work on different stories in different rooms (not something I can do unfortunately). In "For Further Reflection" he discusses how working on multiple stories may be actually help creative individuals and "seen as a physical manifestation of one who gets bored easily by doing only one thing at a time."
Today's "Try This" assignment:
Start work on a story or essay; once you are well into it--and at a convenient stopping point--begin work on a second story or essay (it's okay to shift genres). Keep shifting from one project to the other until both are completed. In your journal, describe the experience of working on two projects at once.
Actually I am already doing this but with five stories not two. I have the four stories that I have started as a result of this book and then my 50,000+ word novel for NaNoWriMo. I work on the novel everyday (at least for the month of November) that is the idea behind that concept. Then the other four I work on either during the week or weekend or whenever the inspiration strickes me. I at least re-read the draft which triggers other points or a pickup point to continue the story. The idea of multiple project is something I have done most of my life. Right now in addition to the writings, I have this blog and four others, as well as my knitting/crocheting projects. And there are my articles that I submit weekly for examiner.com and hubpages.com. I'm not really sure what that says about me other than maybe I'm just scattered. It is because of all of this plus my job that makes my quiet time daily with God and His Word so important. I need that time to just quiet my mind down to relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment