Sunday, January 3, 2010

Jan. 3: Acting upon your New Year's Resolutions

For today Mr. White urges writers to set aside time each day to write. He feels this is a better resolution than just saying your going to write. His reasoning is that by writing daily it becomes a habit. A habit that becomes and intrigal part of your life. Therefore his assignment is to schedule a realistic part of each day as time to write. He advises going about it much like eating, as something that has to be done on a consistent basis. He further advises that you not only set aside time daily to write but also determine what type of writing will you do during that time. By this he means will you develop a character profile, work on the outline for a novel or article, descibe a setting.
This advice is pretty much the same as all websites and books about writing. It is not meant that each day you are going to write something spectacular but that you will be working on various projects and each day you work on one or more facets of one of these projects. Ultimately, you will find that you have completed the projects. The nanowrimo challenge that I worked on during November also help this process of daily writing become more ingrained as does Mr. White's book The Daily Writer. Therefore, most days I am able to work on a portion of a project or on some days actually complete a full project. This is particularly true about writing articles for the three websites where I publish articles. At other times all I am able to do is to work on research. However, research is an important part of writing.
Something else that helps make writing daily easier, at least for me, is writing different types of writing about a variety of different topics. Therefore not only to I write articles on a variety of topics but also short stories that relate to different topics. I am also working generating a number of different writing venues which will ultimately mean that I not only write articles for websites such as Helium and Hub Pages but also for published magazines. The same is true of short stories; I plan on publishing some on a website that I create but also for magazines or other publishers of short stories. I also have subitted an article to a professional journal and planning on working on several more. All of this keeps me from getting bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment