Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Jan 6: Brainstorming for Effective Titles

In today's reading the subject is the importance of titles. Along with way the author also some examples of how authors have started out with one working title but ultimately ended up with a different more effective title. He also discusses the difference between titles for fiction and nonficiton works.
FOR FURTHER REFLECTION
Here the author discusses the fact that the title is usually the first thing the reader encounters. He applies the same statement to the titles of magazine articles. He states that a cleverly worded title often helps the reader decide to read the book or article.
TRY THIS
The assignment is to brainstorm for the title of a short story or magazine article you've recently begun. Be inventive! Come up with several possible titlesw; circle those that best arouse curiosity. For fiction titles, try hinting at the storyline. For nonfiction titles, use a main title plus subtitle approach.
This is something I do with every article I submit. For professional journals the title are pretty straight forward because the publisher are not looking for engaging titles. With e-zines I try to be informative but also shoot for titles that will catch the readers attention. I'm not always successful but do think I am getting better. For my novel the critiques I have gotten was that my clever title is not eye-catching enough and also the average reader doesn't get the significance of the title. So this is something I need to give more consiration too.

No comments:

Post a Comment