Saturday, September 5, 2009

Day #4

On Literature
Assignment from Try This exercises: Compose a short autobiographical sketch in which you describe your experience with literature over the years.

From the time I learned to read I have been a rabid reader. From the ages of 10 to 13 I have read every book in the juvenile section of the small town where my grandparents lived. Most of the time if my mother wanted me for a chore she could not find me because I was off somewhere deeply engrossed in a book. I have never quite figured out why but as child and through most of my first thirty-five years of life I wanted to be someone other than who I was. Books allowed me to be someone else for a little while. It may have also been that in my childhood we did not have television. I was ten before my family purchased a television and by then Iwas already an avid reader. Also the selection of television shows really did not appeal to me.
As I got older, got married and had my daughter books continued to be escapes and it was not uncommon when I would find a particularly interest book and read it from cover to cover without stopping. Now I won't claim that all of those books were good classic literature. I'm not certain that a majority of them could even be considered literature. However, some were. I can even remember as a high school student coming across a section in the local library that contained college literature textbooks and reading those. It did not matter to me if they were English Literature or American Literature. I just enjoy the written word and stories. I can not remember a time when there were not a collection of books in my home.
It is difficult for me to name favorite authors because over the years my tastes have changed and I have read so many books it is impossible to pick just one favorite.
At times I get locked into a particular genre. For years when I first went back to college it was mysteries. Since I worked nighttimes on the weekend I went through them quickly. At one time I had read every mystery in that section of fictional literature at the Arab library. I also had many they did not have that I had been given by friends or bought.
The two thing that my husband says I have too many/much of is books and yarn. My current reading list includes Christian Literature both fiction and non-fiction. However, I do still go to the library and get certain classics from this genre. I also have started in recent years to read several books at one time. I am fairly certain that my love for stories will continue until I die. This is particularly true since the introduction of audio books. Before I take long trips now days I get several audio books to listen to as I drive/ride.
For me Barnes and Noble, Books-A-Million, Lifeway, and Family Christian Book Store are candy stores. I am usually not much of a shopper except when it comes to books and shoes. I still spend an average of one-three hours everyday reading. I currently have four new books ordered from my book club and usually order from four to ten books a month. When I finish reading them I take them to co-workers if they are fiction and donate or resale the non-fiction. If I did not do this there would not be room here in my writing/crafting room to sit or work.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to stop by and tell you thanks for sharing your favorite verse with us at the Cafe this week... Please come back again on Thursday to answer another question :)

    ReplyDelete