Friday, September 25, 2009

Sep. 25: Fashioning Dreamscapes

Today's meditation is about dreams. Mr. White says that "Sigmund Freud may have been the first person to demonstrate from a scientific perspective the importance of dreams in one's life as well as in society generally, but dreams have always played a significant role in human history." He also states that as writers we can tap into our dreams and also we can also made up dreamscapes for our stories. He then gives and example from T. S. Eliot's The Waste Land, in describing the Unreal City.
The "For Futher Discussion" section talks about the profound influence of dreams on modern art and literature. Therefore we need to pay close attention to our dreams and the role they play in our psychic lives.
Today's "Try This" assignment is to record your dreams for the next couple of weeks to convert our dream images into words. Then later use these images to convert them into coherent stories.
I have for years remembered on awakening my dreams and I used to write them down in a journal but stopped. I have some very realistic dreams and then at times they are peopled by realistic people but in bizarre situations. This happened the other night when a dream was peopled by people I work with but the setting was not related at all to work. I have also dreamed about people from my past but again as if they were still in my life or if my life still occurred in those long ago settings. Guess I'll take one of the composition notebooks not currently being used and place it in the bathroom to jot down my dreams everytime I wake up. Always head straight for the bathroom on awakening.

No comments:

Post a Comment