Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Mistakes

Today's meditation related to the fact that we all make mistakes whether as writers or as human belings. Also the second point was that we learn from our mistakes and this applies to our writing as well. This then progressed naturally into making revisions to the original draft. The author, Fred White states that "with large projects, it's easy to keep track of subplots, character descriptions and actions, and the like. One needs to set aside large chunks of time to check for such inconsistencies." Think this is a typo as it most likey should have read "it's not easy".
There is no real writing assignment for today just a suggestion that as you revise a draft to keep a list of the mistakes you catch. "Such itemization will help you idenitfy mistakes in future drafts".
Since there is not writing assignment I am going to take some time to say that it is through some of my biggest mistakes that I have grown into the person I am today. Begin able to admit that I am a flawed human being helps me not seek perfection in everything I do. It has also helped me, surprisingly, to not always seek the approval of others. Plus a number of my story plots come from my own life even though, as a line in an old crime show stated, "the names have been changed to protect the innocent". Or more aptly to keep everyone anonymous.

No comments:

Post a Comment