Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sep. 27: "Once Upon A Time"

In today's meditation the author discusses how these four words take our minds from the reality to the magic of imagination. How they transport us into another world, an imaginary one. The assignment for today is to write a journal entry in which I extend the possibility of conventional reality. I am to begin my entry by answering the question, "What would my life be like if I could read people's thoughts?" or, "If a genie gave me the power to perform one miracle, what miracle would I choose, and how would I put it to use?"
So here goes:
What would my life be like if I could read people's thoughts? I am not certain this is a talent that I would really wish for. At work, yes I would be able to determine just how truthful my clients were being about whether they really wanted to be sober. However, I would also know all their criticism of me. I would also know just wht my co-workers were thinking which again at times would be better off not known. My feelings would not be hurt by someone else's criticism, put downs, or other negative thoughts.
It would also not be something I am dying to hear from friends and others. You know the hidden thoughts like "what was she thinking when she put that on", "can she gain any more weight', "she is so uncouth", etc. Yes, at times it might be educating to find out what people really think of you but I think most of us, if we thought about it for awhile, would rather remain in ignorance. It is easier to take and often less hurtful. It would also be rather hurtful to learn through their thoughts that they really were not thinking of you, or about you as often as you thouht they were.
I know that there have been any number of times when I was glad someone did not know what I was thinking. This is true of even my dear sweet hubby. More times than I care to remember my thoughts have been angry, bitter, resentful, and just down right mean-spirited. Since I am not a very unique person, if my thoughts are such, then so would other's thoughts. I am so grateful that other people can not read my thoughts and therefore will remain grateful I can't read their's either.

No comments:

Post a Comment