Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sep. 30: Reading Your Way Through Writer's Block

In today's meditation the author talked about reading when you have writer's block. Basically the idea is to get a different perspective. I think this would indeed help me. Maybe more so if I was not reading two or three books at one time. Right now I read a chapter a week for my book club, a chapter a week of Debbie Macomber's non-fiction book that I have another blog going on. Then I am also reading "The Hole in Our Gospel", "Before and After: Living and Eating Well After Weight-Loss Surgery", a Debbie Macomber fiction on Wyoming Brides. So sometimes things can get pretty jumbled up in my head. But sometimes I do keep things straight because I read for so many different reasons. Some reading I do is educational, some recreational, some for self-improvement, some for spiritual renewal. Well by now I'm sure you get the idea. The sad part of this is at times things I'm suppose to be reading (like my lesson for tomorrow's Bible Study) don't get done because I'm reading all these other things.
For today's "Try This" Mr. White says to work in three reading breaks during my next writing regimen (don't think I have one). If I don't experience a block then take the breaks after reaching a certain kind of closure, i.e. finishing a chapter, or a dramatic incident. He also suggests that you select your reading from a differnt genre each time. Then take notes on how much time you spend reading, what you've read, and how (if at all) it has helped you to gain fresh impetus on your work in progress when you return to it.
Not really certain I will follow through with this section right now. Maybe the next time I'm faced with writer's block I may try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment