Saturday, September 26, 2009

Sep. 26: Writing As An Expression of Faith

I really enjoyed today's meditation but had to read it through a couple of time to really grasp what the author was saying. When I thought about his opening sentence though it began to make a little sense. He started out by stating that artists (and writers) are explorers of the inner universe. It is this inner universe he says is "the one in which the human drama is played out." He also states that he thinks all writers are engaged in expressions of faith in everything they write.
In the section "For Further Reflection", Mr. White touches on the fact that it is language that people use to define their species, "that words are windows to the truth about ourselves and the universe." For me expressing words in thought, writing, or speaking do allow others to begin to understand some truths about me. It is also through word that I learn about others.
Today's "Try This"section is to write an essage that reflects on the truth of the claim that language does not capture the reality of the world outside ourselves but rather thought-constructs of that reality. I am going to have to think about that one for awhile. I agree to a degree but not totally and also need to ponder on this for awhile before I can actually write on it.
To digress a bit to yesterday's assignment. I recorded my dreams upon waking this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment