Monday, October 12, 2009

Oct. 12: So What?

In today's reading the author suggests that as writers we ask ourselves "So What?" as we progress through our story. The reason he states is so that we are "remind(ed) that our writing won't gt very far if it doesn't offer something of value beyond a superficial conflict situation." He also states that it is not necessary to ask this question at the beginning of our story but instead ask it as we progress. He further states that if we have conceived substantive characters in fascinating social context this shoud come first. "Interesting people and places have a way of leading to satisfying answers to the 'so what?' question. The try this section is again something that I will not have time to work on.
This reading has given me something to consider. I think that some of my writing needs to be reevaluated under this context even though it is meant as fiction. I have noticed that most of the fiction I read does have modern "so what" conflict/controversy co-mingled with the story plots. In addition I defineately need to ask this question in regardings to the articles I write for examiner.com. Since this needs to more like newspaper writing it needs to have that question answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment