Friday, October 23, 2009

Oct. 23: Idealism vs. Realism

In today's reading the author, Fred White, addresses the idea being either idealistic or realistic; optimistic or pessimistic. He stated that idealists/optimists "tend to be adventurous, willing to try new things, to take risks, to put a lot of hope in potential; realists tend to settle for what is tried and true, always weighing the odds and making the safest bets." He further states that writers shoulsd "think about the effect that each attitude has on personality and behavior".
In "For Further Reflection"
The author discusses how "love, paradoxically, is rooted in both the ideal and realistic universes". He also gives examples of where the same author can develop characters that exhibit an opposing personality or worldview.
In "Try This" Assignment for today:
1. Are you an idealist or a realist? Write a journal entry in which you answer that question.
2. Outline a short story in which a realist, through some fascinating series of circumstances, becomes an optimist--or vice versa.
Once again do not have time for #2 but here is my answer for #1.
Idealist or realist? I tend to be a little of both. When I think about what I, or someone else can attain as in goals I tend to be idealistic. I have a firm belief that people who through their positive belief system can attain any goal particularly if it is in alignment with what is God's purpose for their life's accomplishments. However, the author Fred White, mentioned gambling which is something I almost never do because of the reason he stated. I believe that the odds of winning are so great that your odds for winning a certain prize are the same whether you gamble or not. This is particularly true if money is involved. So I don't buy lottery tickets or play slot machines or poker in real life or on the computer. I may enter a contest such as Publisher's Clearing House or writing but never if it involves spending any money. I am also an idealist about our chances of improving our world it we would just all decide to do that. One way I like to think of this is that if everyone who professed to be a Christian would bring one other person to Christ then Christians would out number other religions. Or if everyone recycled, or conserved natural resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment