Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Oct. 13: Food Writing

Today's reading is about writing about food. The author list some different food writers and also three books that deal with food writing. In "For Further Reflection" the author states" Food can open a fascinating portal into a culture, a way of living. It's not just the food itself, but the preparation, and the special occasions for serving it. So much of life's little pleasures are tied to food". As I read those word I was instantly transported to first Korea and Germany where I personally experienced other cultures through their food. As well as back to my own childhood as I remembered my mother making all sorts of homemade goodies for different holidays, particularly for Christmas. One of the book series I am currently reading by my now favorite writer Debbie Macomber features a lot of food ideas and traditions. Because of this she has recently published a book of the receipes from this current series. I personal find these stories more personable because of the inclusion of food in some of the scenes.
Today's "Try This" assignment (again left for later)
1. Write an autobiographical essay that is structured around the foods you most enjoyed at different stages in your life.
2. Write a poem in which you capture the pleasure you experience eating a certain kind of food--an artichoke, an ear of corn, a potato chip (perhaps dipped in guacamole), an uncommon food such as a persimmon, or a common fruit like a plum.

No comments:

Post a Comment