Thursday, October 15, 2009

Oct. 15: Logs

In today's reading the author talks about maintaining logs. Now this was something that I had never considered or done. The examples of scientists keep logs of experiements, pilots and ships captains logs, even architects and construction supervisors but I never considered that artists of all types would, or should, keep logs of their work. However, his reasons for keeping a log make good sense. (1) to keep track of your research and research sources. (2) for writing a novel a timeline, a record of time spent and resources utilized, and of revisions. (3) They are useful for keeping necessary tax records because some items are allowable income tax deductions. In the "For Further Reflections" Section today he suggests that you keep both a log for record-keeping purposes and a journal for recording "raw ideas, character profiles, observations, reflections, daydreams, and rough drafts. This again sounds very reasonable and organized just not something I have never thought of, nor heard about. I can see that you would want to keep up with your expenses, research, etc. so that you would have the information later on.
Today's "Try This" section tells me to keep a log of my next writing project. In this log I am to have various sections in which I record research data, time spent writing, outlining and revising. This sounds like a very good idea and I will try to incorporate that into the four projects I am currently working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment