Friday, October 30, 2009

Oct. 30: Preventing Writer's Block

In today's reading the author suggests two activites to prevent, not just get through, writer's block. The first is the one that all published writers tend to give and that is to just keep writing. Even if you can't think of anything to write on the current project write something. The suggestions given are : write a list of future characters, write a letter to your mother or imaginary or famous person, or compose a greeting card verse. The key is to just keep writing. The second activities is to play word games. Again his suggestion is to chose ten random words from a dictionary and use them to compose a meaningful paragraph.
"For Further Reflection". The author reminds us that writer's block is preventable and we need to find strategies that work best for us. Even taking a small break and engaging in another activities for a while can be helpful. It will also help you gain a different perspective.
The "Try This" assignment for today is:
The next time you're blocked, ask someone to select three or more words from the newspaper. Use those words in the first paragraph of a story.
So far since I have started writing daily I have not faced writer's block. I have been able to write something. Maybe not something that gets accepted but at least I am learning. Like one website I have learned is really looking for more technical material and therefore only when I might want to write a non-professional article related to my profession will I be able to write something that will possibly be purchased on that site. If I were to do that I am much more likely to submit the article to professional magazines I already am subscribed too. I don't always have time to write the daily assignment but that growing list in my composition book is also a possiblity to work through writer's block on a particular story or article. Or I could work on writing a devotional to be submitted to one of several devotional sites that I read on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment