Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Oct. 7: Sex

On today's meditation the author deals with the topic of writing about sex. In my case I much prefer to do as some of my favorite authors. Which is to say write in such a way that is not sexually explicit but that conveys sexuality through the use of innuendo, erotically charged language, and sexual tension. One of the things I so dislike about modern media is that sex is always so graphically portrayed. Much prefer when the actual act was a great mystery but that you know some of the character's engage in. I have some very old fashion moral values which are much more conservative now than in my earlier years. I do not think that it is a positive about our culture that "sex sells" whether it is jeans, perfume, or dish detergent today's media seems to think that the only way to sell a product is to use sexuality. Me personally that is just so wrong on every level. In fact today's "try it" section (which again will have to wait until later) is to "write a scene in which a man and woman begin to experience sexual attraction for each other, but write it in a way that is suggestive rather than explicityly sexual." Actually had already planned such a scene for one of the stories I am currently working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment