Monday, October 5, 2009

Oct. 5: The Future of Books

In today's meditation the author discussed the possible future of having physical books as opposed to digital material/media. I hope that for my lifetime at least we do not do away with physical books. There is something special about certain physical books. Maybe it is sentimentality because for the time I learned to read until I can no longer see (hopefully not before death) I have treasured my moments spent with actual books. I agree with Mr. White that there is something special and aesthetic about a book. A book that you can underline material that was particularly important to you and make notes in the margins. Even for me, fictional novels are something I like to clasp in my hands. There is something special about curling up in a favorite comfortable chair with a book, maybe a special blanket or laprobe draped around you and read a book. It would be even more spectacular if my home had a fireplace to sit beside or in front of, but will have to use my imagination on that one. I also agree with the author that it would be painful to contemplate a world without physical books. Sometimes on long trips I like to listen to an audio book but doubt that I will ever really get into reading a book on the internet.
Today's "try this" section in to interview the librarians at local public or college libraries, about what is the outlook for future maintenance and acquisition of physical books from their perspectives? Then write an article based on the information you obtain.

No comments:

Post a Comment