Saturday, October 31, 2009

Oct. 31: Getting Rid of Bad Writing Habits

Today's reading is about getting rid of bad writing habits and a little bit about what some of those are. One that I can think of one right off the bat is writing carelessly, hastily without taking time to truely develop my subject material. This is particularly true if I am trying to write on an assignment. Unfortunately I tend to do that with my examiner.com material. Need to spend more time researching and interviewing like I did when I first started this. In the "For Further Reflection" today the author gives some useful suggestions for getting rid of these habits but creating new habits. I particularly like the idea of setting aside time to develop character profiles.
Today's "Try This" assignment is:
Draw up a list of all the bad writing habits you've succumbed to over the years. If you can't think of any, you'd better reassess your writing habits soon. Better yet, have a friend--someone on whom you can rely for objective criticism--read a few of your drafts with a close critical eye. Over the next several weeks, make a conscious effort to get rid of those bad habits that your friend points out.
Well I guess I need to print off a few of the stories I am working on and have Vicki read them with a critical eye to suggest/or point out bad writing habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment